Sunday, February 16, 2014

Grapefruit Body Scrub >< DIY

Over the past 3 years I have been getting into the world of natural DIY skin care.  Besides being so much better for you than chemical store bought "concoctions", they are really fun to make!  Body scrubs are a great place to start out, because they are so easy and forgiving.  This morning I made up this mixture to give a friend and decided to share the recipe here. 


It is a simple, and easy solution to get rid of dead skin buildup and moisturize your skin.  It is especially great during the winter when skin tends to dry out easier and build up faster.  Only requiring three ingredients, it is very refreshing and energizing due to the addition of grapefruit essential oil.  It also makes a wonderful gift for family and friends!

 The key components: Coconut oil, Grapefruit essential oil, and Himalayan salt (sugar works well too)


About 1 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 - 2 cups salt (or sugar) 
Approximately 30 drops grapefruit essential oil (if there is a different scent you would prefer you can substitute it for the grapefruit)

1. Melt coconut oil on stove, just until liquid (will take about 5 minutes).  As a side note, if you don't already own and use coconut oil I would highly recommend getting some.  It is great for skin care, and has many different uses including cooking!  
2. Stir in salt until you get the consistency you are after.  The beauty of this mixture is that you don't have to be exact and can make it however course you want.  I tend to like a more abrasive mixture, but that is just me.  
3. After you have the texture you want add grapefruit essential oil, until you get the strength of scent you like. 
4.  Put into a storage container for yourself or wrap it up pretty for a friend, and you are done! 

Did I mention how good it smells? Coconut + Grapefruit = Wonderful


Any questions? Do you make your own skin care items?

~Maria

3 comments:

  1. Hey Maria,
    I have pretty sensitive skin that gets irritated easily with body scrubs/soap type things...Do you think this would irritate it or is it pretty gentle on the skin? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Adah, it depends, are you worried about the coarseness of the scrub, the oils or both? If it is the coarseness then you could very easily substitute ground almond for the salt. Ground almond is pretty soft but still exfoliates and is even gentle enough to use as a face scrub (I wouldn't recommend using the salt on your face).

    I wouldn't think the oils would irritate your skin. Like yourself, I have very sensitive skin, and this recipe doesn't bother my skin at all. I really only use it for my legs and arms though. Like I said above, I wouldn't recommend using it on your face or chest, since that skin is a lot softer.

    We have completely switched over to natural and DIY skin products and the only time my skin gets irritated anymore is if we are someplace and I use a chemical hand soap or lotion. Also, just about anything with alcohol in it irritates my skin.

    That is probably way more info than you were wanting, but hope it answers your question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for answering! That was really helpful..Not too much information ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment... It brightens my day!